Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lone Horse


Before I shot the dandelion, this was "the shot" from my portfolio. I took this one a number of years ago, when I went for a drive early one morning after a fresh snowfall. I had my trusty film camera with me (this was way before I had even heard of digital cameras) and I shot up a roll of black and white film.

I found this horse alone in an enormous field, and he was kind enough to model for me for a few minutes. I have always enjoyed the geometry of this shot. One of the cardinal rules my mother taught me when I was learning to shoot was never to put things in the middle, the whole rule of thirds thing. So it brought me great pleasure to have a shot that so blatantly broke that rule but still worked.

Currently the only old film shot available in my Etsy shop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites! It's not too dark, you know.

Anonymous said...

I really like the starkness of this one. I like how you can't see any of the land behind the horse and fence, cool perspective. :)

Steph said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Jared's mom and I both think this photo DOES follow the rule of thirds. We discussed it just this weekend. :)